Armor is an item type in Starbound. Armor's main function is to provide protection and passive bonuses to multiple stats, such as defense and energy, to the player. Defense is the primary stat for melee armor and energy is the primary stat for ranged armor.
There are four slots for armor available: Head, chest, legs and back. Each type of armor provides different bonuses as well.
- Head: Provides extra energy, defense and warmth.
- Chest: Provides extra health, defense and warmth.
- Pants: Provides extra energy regeneration, defense and warmth.
- Back: Provides a passive ability that may or may not be triggered by a button or be simply aesthetic.
Armor is equipped by dragging it from storage in the Inventory screen to the appropriate armor slot. A separate Vanity option is available for each slot that lets the player receive the stat bonuses from one armor and visually wear another.
Some armor can also be dyed multiple colours using dye made from flower petals.
Shields are used by equipping them to your action bar to provide even further defensive abilities.
Main article: Clothing
Main article: Vanity Armor
There are a number of armor pieces which provide little to no stat bonuses and are designed mainly for cosmetic use.
Ore armor sets
Most ores have a unique armor set colored after the ore coloring. These Ore armor sets have accompanying weapons as well. Four ores - copper, silver, gold and platinum are used to create the first four tiers of armor sets that are not specific to a race, but are ingredients in creating the racial armors for that tier.
|Copper Armor||Silver Armor||Gold Armor||Platinum Armor|
Each race has a three-piece set, made out of headgear, chestpiece, and pants, for each of the 10 tiers. Based on the player's race, they will initially unlock race-specific armor patterns. These racial armors will have passive bonuses that will provide an extra ability when the set is equipped.
- Apex: Increases run speed and jumping height.
- Avian: Allows the player to glide.
- Floran: Sunlight is converted into Energy.
- Glitch: Increases mining speed.
- Human: Extra Inventory space.
- Hylotl: Allows the player to breathe underwater and swim faster.
Players can eventually obtain armors of races other than their own to receive the associated bonuses.
|Racial Armor Sets|
|Species||Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3||Tier 4||Tier 5||Tier 6||Tier 7||Tier 8||Tier 9||Tier 10|
|Glitch||Knave||Soldier||Knight||Dark Knight||Lancer||Crusader||Paladin||Templar||Legionnaire||Doom Lord|
List of armor sets
This is a listing of armor sets in game.