From Starbounder - Starbound Wiki
Glad Giraffe was a content patch released on December 8th, 2015. During development it was referred to as the "Combat Update".
It was announced and changes were detailed on the developer blog shortly after release.
- Generated and tiered two-handed weapons now have special abilities that can be activated using right click. Many (45+) possible abilities are available for various classes of ranged and melee weapons! Each two handed weapon type has a variety of secondary attacks available.
- Yes, some guns now have flashlights
- Change to hammer mechanics: hold left click to wind up, release to fire
- Change to spear mechanics: continue holding left click after a swing to keep the spear out to fend off enemies
- Several new classes of hard-to-find unique weapons: boomerangs, chakrams and fist weapons
- Find blueprints to upgrade these weapons into even more powerful and specialized versions at higher tiers
- Dual wield fist weapons to enable powerful combo finishers
- A few miscellaneous unique weapons and items such as flamethrowers and remote-detonated grenade launchers
- Elemental damage types configured for uncommon and rare weapons
- New fist weapons - Boxing Glove, Brass Knuckles, Claw Glove, Gauntlet, Stun Glove, Vine Fist
- New non-consumable throwing weapons - Boomerang, Chakram, Frozen Boomerang, Giant Worm, Hard Chakram, Lunarang, Molten Boomerang, Neo Chakram, Saw Chakram
- New special guns - Remote Grenade Launcher, Translocator
Monster & NPC Combat
- Lots of new unique monsters found throughout the galaxy, each with their own special abilities and behaviors
- Knockback is more powerful and reliable
- Monsters have clearer ‘telegraphing’ to indicate when they are about to attack
- Remade shields and improved blocking mechanics
- Replaced electric stun status effect with Electrified, which periodically damages other nearby enemies
- Hostile monsters now damage the player on touch
- Added at least 10 new Critters
- Critters are now capturable using Critter Capture Pods and are persistent once placed. Regular monsters are no longer capturable while the system is worked on.
- New Unique Monsters - Adult Poptop, Agrobat, Anglure, Batong, Bobfae, Bobot, Bulbop, Capricoat, Crabcano, Crustoise, Crutter, Fennix, Gleap, Hemogoblin, Hypnare, Ignome, Iguarmor, King Nutmidgeling, Lilodon, Lumoth, Mandraflora, Miasmop, Monopus, Narfin, Nautileech, Nutmidge, Nutmidgeling, Oculob, Oogler, Orbide, Paratail, Peblit, Petricub, Pipkin, Pteropod, Pulpin, Punchy, Pyromantle, Quagmutt, Ringram, Scandroid, Scaveran, Skimbus, Smoglin, Snaggler, Snaunt, Sporgus, Squeem, Taroni, Tintic, Toumingo, Trictus, Triplod, Voltip, Wisper, Yokat
- Monster Trophies - Adult Poptop Action Figure, Agrobat Action Figure, Anglure Action Figure, Batong Action Figure, Bobfae Action Figure, Bobot Action Figure, Bulbop Action Figure, Capricoat Action Figure, Crabcano Action Figure, Crustoise Action Figure, Crutter Action Figure, Fennix Action Figure, Gleap Action Figure, Hemogoblin Action Figure, Hypnare Action Figure, Ignome Action Figure, Iguarmor Action Figure, Lilodon Action Figure, Lumoth Action Figure, Mandraflora Action Figure, Miasmop Action Figure, Monopus Action Figure, Narfin Action Figure, Nutmidge Action Figure, Oculob Action Figure, Oogler Action Figure, Orbide Action Figure, Paratail Action Figure, Peblit Action Figure, Petricub Action Figure, Pipkin Action Figure, Poptop Action Figure, Pteropod Action Figure, Pulpin Action Figure, Pyromantle Action Figure, Quagmutt Action Figure, Ringram Action Figure, Trictus Action Figure, Scandroid Action Figure, Scaveran Action Figure, Skimbus Action Figure, Smoglin Action Figure, Snaggler Action Figure, Snaunt Action Figure, Sporgus Action Figure, Squeem Action Figure, Taroni Action Figure, Tintic Action Figure, Toumingo Action Figure, Triplod Action Figure, Voltip Action Figure, Wisper Action Figure, Yokat Action Figure
- New system for player-controlled vehicles which can be spawned and despawned using Vehicle Controllers (acquired at the Outpost). Changed vehicles from tech (a player movement modifier) to persistent objects. Now vehicles remain where placed after logging out/in, and take damage.
- New hoverbikes - Green Hoverbike Controller, Khaki Hoverbike Controller, Red Hoverbike Controller
- Great for travelling across planet surfaces quickly!
- They include a passenger seat so you can transport your friends!
- Come in several attractive colors!
- Drive carefully to avoid blowing yourself up!
- Similar to the previous boat tech, useful for crossing large bodies of water
- Your friends can ride on deck or pose dramatically in the bow
- New boat - Green Boat Controller
- Visit Rob Repairo in the Outpost shipyard area to repair your vehicles using auto chips, which can be found in the world or purchased at the Outpost
- Quest givers’ portraits are shown on quest dialogs and in the log
- Colonists now occasionally give players new procedural quests to help improve their house or social standing
- The abandon button can be used on procedural quests and the same quests can now be declined
- New Midnight planets
- New Frozen planets
- Prism, Steamspring, and Hive sub biomes.
- Over 300 new microdungeons and other improvements to all underground biomes, including background caves and parallaxes
- Shield Generators can no longer be toggled on and off. They can only be destroyed after taking 250 damage. They also no longer drop Circuit Boards.
- Outpost Microdungeons no longer spawn underground, and are now surface microdungeons on Frozen planets.
- Planet parallax redesigned for: Frozen  planetary biome
- Colorization improvements for sky coloring, sunsetting and rising
- Craftable elevator objects, because stairs are so last millennium - Short Wooden Elevator, Long Wooden Elevator, Short Steel Elevator, Long Steel Elevator, Short Mechanical Elevator, Long Mechanical Elevator
- Consumable dyes to change the color of armor and clothing
- Capture pods are (for now) used to capture and relocate critters, with a more complete pet system returning in a future patch
- Loads of item descriptions have been fixed/replaced/added, including lots of Novakid ones!
- Too many new objects, items, costumes, colony tenants, etc. to list
- Too many bug fixes, item tweaks, and balance changes to list
- Improved support for Tiled map and tileset format for modders (check out our guide here)
- Implemented dyes for coloring armor - Black Dye, Blue Dye, Green Dye, Grey Dye, Orange Dye, Pink Dye, Purple Dye, Red Dye, White Dye, Yellow Dye
- Added a dye cleaner to remove dye and restore armor to default color - Dye Remover
- Chat Bubbles now fade based on the distance the character speaking is from the player.
- Changed the name of 'Alloy Furnace' to Iron Furnace and 'Magnetic Crucible' to Atomic Furnace
and much more
New Items and Objects
- New Biome objects
- Midnight - Shadow Chest, Shadow Marker, Shadow Shrine, Shadow Shrine (2), Shadow Shrine (3), Shadow Wind Chimes
- Prism - Prism Bed, Prism Chair, Prism Crystal, Prism Crystal (Penguin), Prism Cyan Lamp, Prism Door, Prism Emerald Lamp, Prism Magenta Lamp, Prism Runes Crystal, Prism Table
- Steamspring - Boiler Valve, Brass Lamp Post, Floor Gear, Floor Pipe, Floor Pipe (2), Floor Pipe (3), Large Steam Boiler, Medium Steam Boiler, Small Steam Boiler, Steam Clock Face, Steamspring Bed, Steamspring Door, Steamspring Lamp, Steamspring Table
- Hive - Hive Bed, Hive Chair, Hive Chest, Hive Door, Hive Lamp, Hive Light, Hive Light (2), Hive Table
- New lights - Laboratory Lamp
- New doors - Airlock Hatch, Laboratory Hatch
- New items - Parasol, Parcel, Reward Bag, Secret Note, Soggy Paper
- New blocks - Hive Block, Shadow Block, Shadow Spike Block, Shadow Wall Block, Smooth Ice
- New materials - Baby Larva, Cryonic Extract, Hardened Carapace, Living Root, Phase Matter, Prism Shard, Scorched Core, Sharpened Claw, Static Cell, Stick of RAM, Venom Sample
- New costume armor - Boiler, Cyclops Yeti Set (Cyclops Yeti Shirt, Cyclops Yeti Pants), Dark Cape, Dark Disguise Set (Dark Disguise Mask, Dark Disguise Shirt, Dark Disguise Pants), Dark Guard Mask, Dark Set (Dark Mask, Dark Shirt, Dark Trousers), Feather Headband, Larva Set (Larva Mask, Larva Chest, Larva Legs), Neck Ruffle Jacket, Pipe Hat, Prism Set (Prism Mask, Prism Chest, Prism Pants, Three-Eyed Glasses, Warm Grey Trousers
About a week after full release, on December 15th, 2015, a small bugfix hotpatch was deployed;
- Fix bug with muzzle flash lights staying on in guns
- Make sure new characters start in a system with a desert and forest planet
- Fix bug where monsters would be aggressive even if spawned as non-aggressive
- Make NPCs fire in shorter bursts, even at higher levels
- Fixed broken merchant quest