Starbound's lore is presented to the player through books, logs, papers and other materials found in the game world, as well as conversations with NPCs who will change what they say based on your race.
Once a codex has been collected and learned it's permanently available in that character's Codex Library, which can be opened by clicking the side menu icon or using the hotkey [L].
"It may seem like a small/insignificant feature to some, but it's something we hope will greatly contribute to the atmosphere of the game as well as the sense of discovery in constantly reading new tidbits of information about each race. So...lore fans, rejoice!" - "The Starbound Chronicle: July 2013"
- 1 Starter Codex Entries
- 2 Racial Codexes
- 3 Mission Codexes
- 4 Other Codexes
- 5 Legacy Lore
- 5.1 Races
- 5.2 Specific Entries - Characters or Groups of Characters
- 5.2.1 Airship
- 5.2.2 Greenfinger of the Floran
- 5.2.3 Hewlett Deckard - Glitch bounty hunter
- 5.2.4 Hiraki Corale, Hylotl Adventurer
- 5.2.5 Huntmaster Sunflower Tzu
- 5.2.6 K'arn Hollowbeak, Avian scholar
- 5.2.7 Platinum Ace, Outcast Leader
- 5.2.8 Professor Irondome
- 5.2.9 Rochard Hawkings
- 5.2.10 The Po-metheus
- 5.2.11 Other
- 5.3 Boss entries
- 5.4 Missions
Starter Codex Entries
Every player learns these entries when they begin the game.