|Threat: Extreme (Tier 5)||Weather|
|Star types: Frozen, Fiery|
|EPP Required: Heating EPP Upgrade|
|Mini Biomes: Hive, Bioluminescence|
|Secondary Biomes: Desert, Tundra, Forest, Snow, Barren|
Midnight biomes can be created and expanded using a Dark Terraformer, and a planet will convert to a Midnight planet once half of the planet's surface has been terraformed into Midnight biome.
Midnight planets can be found orbiting frozen (blue) and fiery (red) star types. Unless players have a Heating EPP Upgrade equipped they'll take increasing damage while on the surface from deadly cold. A Cooling EPP Upgrade also will protect against the planet's cold.
- This is a dark world where the sun never rises. The surface is dangerously cold. You should prepare yourself both mentally and physically before landing here.
- This dark world is perilously cold. Strange shadowy figures dwell here, hidden in the unremitting night.
- Scans show that the surface is dark. In fact, scans show little else on account of all the darkness. However, I surmise that the surface is dangerously cold.
The surface layer of midnight biomes is primarily made up of tough obsidian, along with ash, and cobblestone. There's gatherable wood from the dark trees which also drop plant fibre. The planet's primary color in the navigation console is always black, and so is the obsidian it's made from.
|Primary material||Sub materials||Geological materials|
|Shadow Chest||Storage||85||A dark, shadowy chest.|
|Shadow Marker||Decorative||110||A mysterious flag marker. What kind of leather is that?|
|Shadow Shrine||Decorative||175||A really creepy looking shrine.|
|Shadow Shrine (2)||Decorative||115||A really creepy looking shrine.|
|Shadow Shrine (3)||Decorative||120||A really creepy looking shrine.|
|Shadow Spike Block||Block||0||A spiked block formed from shadowy material.|
|Shadow Wall Block||Block||0||Bricks carved from shadowy rock.|
|Shadow Wind Chimes||Decorative||100||Many find the gentle ringing of wind chimes like these quite soothing.|
Midnight biomes, due to being in perpetual darkness, use a unique set of tracks for both "day-time" and "night-time".
- Lava Exploration 1
- Crystal Exploration 1
- Crystal Exploration 2
- Accretion Disc
- Arctic Exploration 1
- Error 0xbfaf000
- Forsaken Grotto
- Accretion Disc (yes, it's supposed to appear twice)
- Tranquility Base
There are sub biomes which can be found on midnight planets in addition to their unique mini biomes. Desert, tundra, forest, snow, and barren have a chance to appear as smaller biomes on midnight planets. These biomes will include things like their associated blocks, trees, and crops when they appear. Mini biomes for each of these secondary biome types can appear inside them as well.
Hive and bioluminescence are mini biomes found inside midnight biomes. These mini biomes can be found on midnight planets or inside midnight sub biomes on other planet types. These mini biomes each have their own creatures and items outside what's available in midnight biomes.
- Hive - Bugs and larva are abundant in this creepy hive
- Bioluminescence - Colorful plants glow faintly, lighting up the area around this mini biome.
Midnight planets stick to the standards for planetary layer composition.
- Space: Asteroids
- Atmosphere: Atmosphere
- Surface: Midnight (Primary Biome); Desert, Tundra, Forest, Snow, Barren (Secondary Biomes)
- Subsurface: Underground 0a, Underground 0b, Underground 1a, or Underground 1b
- Shallow Underground: Tarpit, Mushrooms, Wilderness, Mini Village, Underground 0a, Underground 0b, Underground 1a, or Underground 1b
- Mid Underground: Luminous Caves, Stone Caves, Bone Caves, Ice Caves, Underground 0c, Underground 1c, Underground 1d, Underground 3a, Underground 3b, Underground 3c, or Underground 3d
- Deep Underground: Cell Caves, Flesh Caves, Slime Caves, Underground 0d, Underground 5a, Underground 5b, Underground 5c, or Underground 5d
- Core: Blaststone Core Layer, Magmarock Core Layer, or Obsidian Core Layer
Weather on midnight planets is a perpetual dust storm. There are no other types of weather found on midnight planets.
The probability for weather types on midnight planets is as follows:
Boltbulb can be found growing wild in midnight biomes. These can be harvested by interacting with them or by digging them up. They'll drop produce and have a chance to drop a seed which can be replanted.
In addition to procedurally generated creatures, there are a variety of unique monsters, bugs and critters found in midnight biomes. Some of these are also found in other biomes, while others are unique only to midnight biomes. While these unique creatures have a chance to appear on midnight planets, they will not all appear on each one. In addition to unique creatures, each biome has multiple types of both procedural ground and flying creatures.
Unique monsters each have combat attacks, and they must first be weakened before capture. Once weakened players can attempt to capture using a capture pod. If successful they can then be released to battle alongside and follow the player.
Critters are smaller non-combat unique creatures which are not capturable using capture pods. They can be captured without weakening them first by using a relocator gun. After releasing a critter from the relocator it will stay in the area it was released into.
Bugs are very small unique creatures which can be captured using a bug net, and are then stored inside placeable jars. Bugs which are captured using a relocator will fly after release instead of being kept inside a jar.
There are a variety of items which are specific to chests found in midnight biomes. Some of these may have a chance to be found in other places throughout the universe, but they've all been specifically allocated to chests within midnight biomes.
Midnight biomes can have a large variety of settlement types found on them. These include small microdungeons and NPC camps, larger racial villages and hostile dungeons. Smaller midnight planets usually contain only one dungeon or village, while midnight planets can contain as many as three.
Many small microstructures exist on the biome surface, commonly populated by shadowy figures.