The Pixel Printer allows players to 'replicate' scanned objects using pixels (which is the game's universal currency). Once an object is scanned using the scanning mode of the Matter Manipulator, the object will be listed in the printer window and can be 'reprinted' unlimited times. Some objects, however, are not printable even if they are scanned.
Many objects, such as blocks, cannot be scanned by the Matter Manipulator.
In addition, many crafted objects cannot be scanned for printing, as they're manufactured through crafting. This also applies to a number of objects sold by merchants.
When in Scan mode, the player can determine which items have been scanned and which have not. Objects highlighted in red when facing them are already scanned, blue when unscanned, and green when they are required to be scanned for a quest.
- See here for a full list of objects which can be printed using the printer after being scanned
- See here for a full list of objects which are disabled from being printed using the printer
Generally speaking, the following can be printed by the Pixel Printer:
- Non-interactive furniture (e.g. showers and tables)
- Some interactive furniture (e.g. beds and chairs)
- Bookcases, fridges, chests and other storage items
- Banners, flags, paintings, posters, shelves and other decorative items
- Objects that can be wired (e.g. consoles, valves and levers)
The following cannot be printed by the Pixel Printer:
- Blocks and platforms
- Breakable items (e.g. pots and bushes)
- Crops and trees
- Crafting stations
- Furniture doubling as a crafting station (e.g. anvils, stoves and ovens)
- Furniture with a blueprint
- Merchant-exclusive furniture
In alpha and early beta, the printer was mounted in players ships. It was replaced when the ship computer was developed (SAIL) and pixel printing was made a sub-function of it. In update Cheerful Giraffe the printer was made a separate station again, now crafted using an Architect's Table.
|Apex :||A pixel printer... So few people have access to these.|
|Avian :||Pixel printing... The technology that changed the universe.|
|Floran :||Pretty pixelsss print pretty thingss for Floran.|
|Glitch :||In love. Such technology is art.|
|Human :||Pixel printing... Near god-like power.|
|Hylotl :||Pixel printing, the power of the pixel at my fingertips... The 'god particle'.|
|Novakid :||Pixel printing is pretty fancy.|
- Perturbed Koala: Added
- Rampaging Koala: Disabled
- Cheerful Giraffe: Reimplemented, updated appearance