Guide:Setting Up Multiplayer
If the computer you wish to run the server on has a private IP:
You will need administrative access to all routers between the server and the internet (In a typical home, you may have up to 2 or more. In some cases the modem itself has a built in router that is often overlooked)
You will also likely need administrative access to any firewalls between the server and the internet (In a typical home, this would just be the firewall built into your OS)
From the launcher
Open the Starbound Launcher
Click "Launch Starbound Server"
- This will spawn a command prompt window
Ensure you "allow access" for the server if a Windows Firewall dialog appears
- Run the Starbound server in your Starbound directory. The default location is:
- On 32-bit Windows, C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\starbound\win32\starbound_server.exe
- On 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound_server.exe
- On Mac OS, ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound
- On 32-bit Linux, ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux32/starbound_server
- On 64-bit Linux, ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux64/starbound_server
- If the Starbound server cannot be found at these locations, then right-click the game in Steam to find the Starbound directory.
To host the game on the internet you will need to forward/allow TCP port 21025 on your router and firewall (if enabled)
See the resource section on a Remote Port Testing URL If the resource reports that the port is closed then you will need to:
- Check your firewall(s) in your OS
- Check your forwarding rules on your router(s)
Locally, you should still be able to connect to your server using the IP 127.0.0.1 (Local Loopback) in the Starbound client, however your friends won't.
Once the remote tool reports that the port is open, then you may give your IP out to your friends to play. To locate your IP use this, or another similar URL
- Load the game, click "Multiplayer" in the main menu
- Select the character you wish to use
- Server Address: Enter the IP or DNS name you wish to connect to.
- Enter the server account and password if this has been configured, otherwise it can be left blank
- Click on "Join Server"
- Invite your friends to connect too!
Forming a Party
Once you're in-game, you and your friends will be on different ships! Their portraits should not appear on the left side of the screen. You can click the + icon next to your characters portrait to add them to your party and then you will see their portraits on the left under yours!
Once you're in a party with someone, you can warp to their ship by clicking on their portrait.
Advanced Server Configuration
By editing the file 'starbound.config' in the giraffe_storage directory, players can adjust the settings for the server they're hosting. This method allows players to configure server passwords, ports, default game settings and much more by adjusting values.
|gameServerPort||The server port||21025|
|bannedUuids||Ban List for Unique User Ids|||
|bannedIPs||Ban List for IP Addresses|||
|serverName||The server's name||A Starbound Server|
|maxPlayers||Maximum allowed simultaneous sessions||8|
|allowAdminCommands||Determines if admin commands can be used on the server||true|
|allowAdminCommandsFromAnyone||Determines if all users can use admin commands||false|
|windowTitle||Game program window title||"Starbound - Beta"|
|vsync||Enables vertical synchronization||true|
|maxFrameskip||Frame skip setting||10|
|sampleRate||Audio sampling frequency||44100|
|audioChannels||Number of audio channels||2|
|audioChannelSeparation||Audio balance||[-25, 25]|
|clearUniverseFiles||Forces players to use new universe data||false|
|clearPlayerFiles||Forces players to use new characters||false|
Default Menu settings
|sfxVol||Sound effect volume level between 0-100||100|
|musicVol||Music volume level between 0-100||100|
|windowedResolution||Game resolution in windowed mode||[1000, 600]|
|maximizedResolution||Game resolution in a maximized window||[1000, 600]|
|fullscreenResolution||Game resolution when fullscreen||[1920, 1080]|
|fullscreen||Full screen enable||false|
|maximized||Game window maximized||true|
|zoomLevel||Zoom level of game camera||3.0|
|speechBubbles||Toggle for player speech bubbles||true|
|crafting.filterHaveMaterials||Filtering of crafting lists to 'available to craft'||false|
|title.connectionString||IP address of the last server connection||""|
- Remote Port Testing URLs:
- Help With Forwarding Ports on your Router: