Shortsword attack speed is faster than the two-handed broadsword, usually trading off for reduced damage. They're useful for applying status effects in melee because of their directional aim and speed. There are a variety of special shortswords found throughout the universe with unique effects, attacks, projectiles and appearances.
- Base DPS: 6.0-7.0 health per second (Common), 6.5-7.5 health per second (Uncommon/Rare)
- Fire Time: 0.5-0.67 seconds between 1x-damage attacks (approx. 1.5-2.0 1x-damage attacks per second)
- Combo Progression:
- First Strike: 1x damage, 10 knockback (weak knockback)
- Second Strike: 1.4x damage, 20 knockback (average knockback)
Most uncommon and rare shortswords have an assigned elemental damage type. Some damage types are more effective against specific enemies than others. In addition to determining the damage type, each element has a certain Status Effect which is inflicted on hit only by rare shortswords. These can be damaging (like burning, poison, or electrified) or offer control by impairing enemy movement (like frost). The elemental damage type of each weapon is indicated by the corresponding icon in the in-game tooltip.
- Fire (applies Burning)
- Poison (applies Poisoned)
- Frost (applies Frost)
- Electric (applies Electrified)
Shortswords do not have any special attacks available beyond elemental status effects.