The nightly version of Starbound is an extremely broken test build available to players who choose to opt-in. The build is very buggy, and often has large game features disabled or configured for testing. It's a nightly copy of the development build being worked on by Chucklefish which automatically pushes the current state to Steam each day at 4am UTC.
The following list is reflective of the changes that are currently ONLY on the nightly build, any changes pushed to the stable version will be removed from the listing below and moved to the stable changelog.
For a list of upcoming features, see here, or see the changelog for the Stable builds of the game.
Nightly Build Changes
|| Release date
|| Summary of changes
| Version 1.1.0
August 4th, 2016 (Nightly)
September 6th, 2016 (Unstable)
September 8th, 2016 (Stable)
- New friendly Novakid villages added
- These villages are 'old west' themed and have a variety of themed objects and structures.
- New Novakid objects - Frontier Bed, Frontier Chair, Frontier Coffin, Frontier Door, Frontier Furnace, Frontier Gramophone, Frontier Grandfather Clock, Frontier Hat Rack, Frontier Iron Symbol, Frontier Lamp, Frontier Lamp Post, Frontier Plains Painting, Frontier Mooshi Painting, Frontier Vault, Frontier Wagon Painting, Frontier Water Pump, Frontier Windmill, Picture Stand, Saloon Bar, Saloon Sign, Saloon Tumbler, Wagon Wheel, Wanted Poster
- New Collections window to keep track of collected pets/fish/food/bugs/fossils/action figures.
- The collections window is accessed through the side menu, above the Matter Manipulator upgrade button
- Fishing Rods can now be used on ocean planets (including arctic, toxic and magma oceans) to catch fish
- Fishing involves moving the lure around to get it near fish you want while avoiding fish you don't
- 48 new unique fish added, 12 for each ocean type
- Rare fish can drop unique treasure and equipment
- New fishing equipment:
- New themed furniture - Pastel Bed, Pastel Bunny Plushie, Pastel Cabinet, Pastel Chair, Pastel Light, Pastel Stool, Pastel Table, Pastel Wall Clock, Pastel Wardrobe
- Relocator - A craftable gun which can pickup critters, bugs, fish, and farm animals and relocate them. It provides the ability to move these small creatures without binding them to a capture pod.
- Biome tenant merchants no longer sell materials for free
- Fixed a few armor descriptions which were running long inside the crafting window.
- Resolved an alignment issue with some armor stats inside the crafting window
- Reduced damage fireworks deal
- Monsters no longer spawn in moon atmospheres
- Moontants, Apex Brain Mutants, and Apex Mutants are no longer capturable
- Removed chance of stray monster spawning during arena sidequest
Daily Asset Differences
Forum user Kawa maintains a list of nightly differences in assets. They offer a detailed breakdown of changes pushed with each nightly build. These logs are not reflective of all game changes, and are specific to asset changes so may not reflect changes to some filetypes or engine adjustments.