was the second major content patch
released after Version 1.0
. It was released to the unstable branch on December 7th, 2016 for testing, and pushed to the stable branch on December 15th, 2016
The primary features introduced in this patch were the ability to terraform planetary and mini biomes using placable terraformers, Ancient Vaults dungeons, which are unlocked post main story, weapon upgrades and monster elemental resistances and weakness from weapon damage.
It was announced and changes were detailed on the developer blog shortly after unstable release.
This was the first major content patch since launch which was not published to the nightly branch each night, meaning the community was kept mostly in the dark on what changes and features were being developed while the patch was put together.
- Players who have completed the main story line can visit a mysterious trader on the Outpost who will send them on a quest to activate and enter the Ancient Gateways found floating in some systems
- These gateways provide access to Ancient Vaults: challenging procedural dungeons left by the ancients, filled with dangerous guardians (including procedural bosses!) and fantastic lost technologies
- New dungeon key - Vault Key
- New currency - Ancient Essence
- New dungeon objects - Ancient Bust, Ancient Hidden Switch, Ancient Mural, Ancient Mural (2), Ancient Mural (3), Ancient Mural (4), Ancient Mural (5), Ancient Mural (6), Ancient Pressure Plate, Ornamental Ancient Pot, Rounded Ancient Pot, Small Ancient Pot, Tall Ancient Pot, Wide Ancient Pot, Decorative Ancient Pot
- Using powerful devices acquired from the Ancient Vaults along with a new Essence currency, you can now transform regions or whole planets into entirely different biomes
- Terraformers can be used to expand a region across a planet’s surface, replacing natural blocks, objects and plant life, and eventually changing the type of the planet itself (planet biomes)
- Terraformers can be crafted at a new crafting station, only found at the end of Ancient Vaults dungeons - the Terraforge.
- Terraformer types - Mutant Terraformer, Sandy Terraformer, Wooded Terraformer, Lush Terraformer, Jungle Terraformer, Dark Terraformer, Prairie Terraformer, Scorched Terraformer, Snowy Terraformer, Icy Terraformer, Volcanic Terraformer
- Microformers are consumable single-use terraformers which provide even more region types to add to your worlds (mini biomes)
- Microformers have a chance to drop from Ancient Guardian bosses at the end of Ancient Vaults.
- Microformer types - Mountainous Microformer, Glowing Microformer, Skeletal Microformer, Ocular Microformer, Fleshy Microformer, Crystalline Microformer, Floral Microformer, Buggy Microformer, Glowshroom Microformer, Fungal Microformer, Rusty Microformer, Slimy Microformer, Steamy Microformer, Tarry Microformer, Wild Microformer
- Use the ancient anvil available at the end of Ancient Vaults and spend Essence to upgrade your outdated legendary weapons, opening up many new options for endgame combat styles
- Monsters now have resistance and weakness to elemental damage types, making your choice of weapons more important than ever
- Celebrate the holidays with the variety of festive items bought from Space Santa at the Outpost!
- Reintroduced holiday cosmetic armor and decorative objects
- Costumes - Santa Set (Holiday Beard Hat, Holiday Coat, Holiday Trousers, Holiday Sack), Holiday Set (Holiday Hat, Holiday Top, Holiday Skirt)
- Decorations - Big Green Gumdrop, Big Present, Big Purple Gumdrop, Big Red Bow, Big Red Gumdrop, Blue Present, Broken Candy Cane, Crooked Candy Cane, Crooked Candy Cane (Red), Crooked Candy Cane (Straight), Crooked Stocking, Decorated Tree, Decorative Holly, Dreidel, Faux Fir Tree, Festive Candles, Giant Green Gumdrop, Giant Holiday Bells, Giant Lollipop, Giant Lollipop (Swirl), Giant Purple Gumdrop, Giant Red Gumdrop, Gold Ball Holiday Ornament, Green Candy Cane, Green Present, Holiday Lights, Holiday Pole, Holiday Rocket Sleigh, Jetpack Santa Statue, Little Red Bow, Menorah, Red Ball Holiday Ornament, Red Candy Cane, Red Present, Red Stocking, Shiny Red Bow, Small Faux Fir Tree, Small Snowflake, Teal Present
Minor Changes / Bug Fixes
- Removed pet hunger system along with Food Bowl
- New backer weapon implemented - Doomcannon (which applies Doomed, a new unique status effect)
- Holding the activation key while in a distortion sphere tech will force deactivation, to avoid being permanently stuck in small spaces
- Contain tooltips within the game window when they’re near the edge
- Fix a bug with monster kill sounds not playing correctly
- Several bug fixes to monster/NPC behaviors and pathfinding
- Various typo and asset fixes
- Add appropriate “bushes” to the Foundry biome
- Update SDL2 to 2.0.5, should fix some fullscreen issues
- Fix some security vulnerabilities in server packet handling
- Fixed an issue where crew would duplicate
- Fix a player inventory networking issue
- Improve generation time of older, image-based dungeons
- Other minor improvements to dungeon and world generation
- Use larger texture atlases on graphics cards that support them
- Various optimizations to monster/NPC scripts
- Improve loading speed for dungeon worlds
Modding API Changes
- Behavior Tree system moved to engine for performance reasons, now accessible with the root.behavior lua binding. (Check lua documentation)
- Cleanup node removed
- Decorator node lua implementation changed
- Action node arguments moved around, now (args, output, nodeId, dt).
- Generic currency support.
- Additional currencies can be added and consumed without requiring configuration
- To associate a currency with a currency item, to be used in crafting, it needs to be configured in /currencies.config
- .coinitem files changed to .currency
- Object changes for terraforming support
- Objects can have a new boolean key, "biomePlaced" which if true will cause them to be placed and removed by terraforming.
- Objects can have a new boolean key, "rooting" which if true will mark all of their anchor spaces as roots and prevent those tiles from being broken until the object is broken (identical to how trees and vines work).
- Player inventory can now be configured in player.config, allowing changes to:
- Number of bags
- Inventory size of each bag
- Number of action bars
- Action bar size
- NOTE: modifications to player inventory size need to be applied both server side and client side, and will invalidate existing characters unless manually versioned
- Damage sources, requests, and notifications
- Introduced new hit types; WeakHit, StrongHit and Killed.
- Removed killed boolean from damage notifications, replaced with Killed hit type.
- Damage effects (sounds, particles) can be configured for each hit type (Hit, WeakHit, StrongHit, ShieldHit, Killed) in damage type configurations (.damage files).
- Added support for elemental types to damage types. Elemental types can be configured in /damage/elementaltypes.config and can be set for each damage type using the “elementalType” key, which defaults to the “default” elemental type. Each elemental type has a unique set of damage number particles for each hit type.
- Monsters now support client side rendering scripts
Lua API changes
- Removed activeItemAnimation.animationParameter (replaced with animationConfig.animationParameter)
- Added animator.partProperty
- Replaced item.is with item.matches
- Added monster.setDamageParts
- Added monster.setAnimationParameter
- Removed objectAnimator.animationParameter (replaced with animationConfig.animationParameter)
- Added player.currency
- Added player.addCurrency
- Added player.consumeCurrency
- Modified player.hasItem to allow exact parameter matching
- Modified player.hasCountOfItem to allow exact parameter matching
- Modified player.consumeItem to allow exact parameter matching
- Added animationConfig table for use in client side rendering scripts
- Added widget.setSliderValue
- Added widget.getSliderRange
- Added widget.setSliderEnabled
- Added widget.setItemSlotItem
- Modify world.spawnItem to allow optionally setting a velocity and an intangibleTime
- Added world.size
- Added world.inSurfaceLayer
- Added world.terrestrial
- Changed world.entityMoney to world.entityCurrency
- Added world.universeFlagSet
- Modified world.entityHasCountOfItem to allow exact parameter matching
- Added world.lineTileCollisionPoint
- Added world.addBiomeRegion
- Added world.expandBiomeRegion
- Added world.pregenerateAddBiome
- Added world.pregenerateExpandBiome
- Added world.setLayerEnvironmentBiome
- Added world.setPlanetType
- ↑ http://playstarbound.com/starbound-vault-update/
- ↑ http://playstarbound.com/starbound-1-2-unstable/