Savannah is a primary biome type. It's characterized by grasslands, trees, and wide open spaces. Ship navigation calls this a "dry grassland" planet, not to be confused with the decayed biome.
Savannah biomes can be created and expanded using a Prairie Terraformer, and a planet will convert to a Savannah planet once half of the planet's surface has been terraformed into Savannah biome.
Savannah planets can be found orbiting temperate (orange), radioactive (yellow) and frozen (blue) star types. They also have a rare chance of being found around fiery (red) stars as satellites of gas giants. There are no environmental hazards in Savannah biomes which require use of an environmental protection pack. Natively-generated Savannah planets have a Risky threat level and a planetary Tier of 3.
- The landing location is located in an area of dry grassland. Trees and shrubs grow sparsely in the heat. A dusty place of wide, flat vistas.
- This area of dry grassland is sparsely populated by trees. It is not excessively inhospitable - readings indicate that there is a hare bouncing around.
- The landing site is situated in an area of dry grassland that is hot and prone to dust storms. It is neither especially pleasant, nor especially dangerous.
Savannah biomes use the Day Tracks during the day and the Night Tracks during the night.
- Epsilon Indi
- Hymn to the Stars
- Stellar Formation
- Vast Immortal Suns
- Blue Straggler
- Cygnus X1
- On the Beach at Night
- Arctic Constellation 1
- Arctic Constellation 2
- Tranquility Base
- Accretion Disc
- Cygnus X1
- Eridanus Supervoid
- Horsehead Nebula
- Large Magellanic Cloud
- On the Beach at Night
Savannah planets stick to the standards for planetary layer composition.
- Space: Asteroids
- Atmosphere: Atmosphere
- Surface: Savannah (Primary Biome); Garden, Barren, Desert, Forest (Secondary Biomes)
- Subsurface: Underground 0a, Underground 0b, Underground 1a, or Underground 1b
- Shallow Underground: Tarpit, Mushrooms, Wilderness, Mini Village, Underground 0a, Underground 0b, Underground 1a, or Underground 1b
- Mid Underground: Luminous Caves, Stone Caves, Bone Caves, Ice Caves, Underground 0c, Underground 1c, Underground 1d, Underground 3a, Underground 3b, Underground 3c, or Underground 3d
- Deep Underground: Cell Caves, Flesh Caves, Slime Caves, Underground 0d, Underground 5a, Underground 5b, Underground 5c, or Underground 5d
- Core: Blaststone Core Layer, Magmarock Core Layer, or Obsidian Core Layer
Weather in savannah biomes is usually clear, but it rains every so often.
The probability for weather types on savannah planets is as follows:
In addition to procedurally generated creatures, there are a variety of unique monsters, bugs and critters found in savannah biomes. Some of these are also found in other biomes, while others are unique only to savannah biomes. While these unique creatures have a chance to appear on savannah planets, they will not all appear on each one. In addition to unique creatures, each biome has multiple types of both procedural ground and flying creatures.
Unique monsters each have combat attacks, and they must first be weakened before capture. Once weakened players can attempt to capture using a capture pod. If successful they can then be released to battle alongside and follow the player.
Critters are smaller non-combat unique creatures which are not capturable using capture pods. They can be captured without weakening them first by using a relocator gun. After releasing a critter from the relocator it will stay in the area it was released into.
Bugs are very small unique creatures which can be captured using a bug net, and are then stored inside placeable jars. Bugs which are captured using a relocator will fly after release instead of being kept inside a jar.
Unique treasure can be found inside Pod Chests.
Fenerox huts may appear here, along with other microdungeons. Smaller savannah planets usually contain only one dungeon or village, while larger savannah planets can contain as many as three.